Thursday, August 9, 2012

RFW: It Only Works When I Breathe

It's been a while since I posted on my Resolutions for Women book by Priscilla Shirer.  Today's lesson is titled:  "It Only Works When I Breathe"

The title immediately caught my attention since my One Word for 2012 is

So, let's talk for a bit, shall we?

This section can be summed up in one sentence: "You will never be able to give the best of yourself if you're not taking care of yourself to begin with."  (page 106)

I don't know about any of you, but I feel somewhat guilty when I take time out for myself.  I know it's needed, time to just recoup from the stresses of life, take a few deep breaths and re-group, but that is time I could be spending with my family, reading God's word, resting, running, cleaning, organizing, etc.  Don't we lack extra time in our day?  Who are we to be so selfish as to need "me" time when it takes so much to make your family work?  After all, we are women, aren't we?  We are accustomed to making sacrifices?  We get up first (sometimes), we eat cold dinners, we are Super Women.  And when we don't make the sacrifice, we oftentimes feel guilty taking time to relax or rejuvenate. 

"But hold on a minute.  Why wouldn't taking care of yourself be considered one of the best possible uses of your time when doing so sets the tone for the rest of your entire life?"  Or week?  Or day?

So hold on ladies, I have your saving grace for "me" time courtesy of Ms. Shirer:  "you must consider the changing needs of [your] body.  What is required to stay replenished, energized, and healthy ten years ago was different from what it needs today...try not to allow the passions God has given [you] to get trampled under the busyness of life...There's just no way around it.  If you're going to stay sharp--if you're going to keep your oxygen levels up--you need a break every now and then.  It's not a break from your life; it's a break for your life."  Aging does come with perks, eh?

So now we ask ourselves, "When will I put on my oxygen mask so I can...bre-e-e-eathe?" (page 110)

By signing my name:

I am choosing not to allow perfectionism to rule my life.  I am determining, rather to consider carfully what God has prioritized for me in this season of my life, and then examine the unique qualities I've been given to bring to those tasks.  I am accepting this resolution as an invitation to become fully engaged in today's assignment and bring all of myself into every one.  I will no longer see taking care of myself as something to be ashamed of but a requirement to enable me to better serve others. 

Resolution:
I will seek to devote the best of myself, my time, and my talents to the primary roles the Lord has entrusted to me in this phase of my life.

Elaine M Killian
August 9, 2012


No comments:

I began blogging several years ago in search of new friends who, like me, were having a difficult time getting pregnant. Five years, 2 miscarriages, 4 failed IUI's, and a doctor who told us "It will never happen" later, we are the proud parents of Kade and Kohen. They are each an example of God's absolute perfection. We thank God where medical intervention stops, Divine intervention begins.