Thursday, April 19, 2012

My First Meal Plan

I haven't updated very much about my family life or the current daily chaos for the Killian's.  Things have been up and down over the past few weeks.  You'll probably be bored to tears by this post actually.

Something new we've started is meal planning in our house.  Since we have been honoring the Lord by tithing, we've had to make some cuts elsewhere.  One area where we typically spend large amounts of money is on quick trips to the grocery store.  We live so close to grocery markets that we visited them daily--or did!  Now I've joined the ranks of meal planning mom's (HELLO out there!), and it seems to have really helped us manage our spending.

Our First Meal Plan Looks Something like this:

Monday:  Pizza night (We can get a medium peperoni pizza and cheese bread sticks for $9--you can't cook any cheaper than that!

Tues:  Taco's

Wednesday:  Meat Ball Subs/Spaghetti

Thursday:  Eat around night (Kyle and I work until 6pm, so my mom feeds the boys.  He and I will typically snack, eat cereal, or salad)

Friday:  Sushi  (This is our one and only eating out during the week)  The boys will eat McDonald's.

Saturday: Chicken Nuggets, French Fries, Corn, Strawberries

Sunday:  Beef Tips with Rice and Steamed Broccoli

I purchased the ingredients for most of the above for less than $50.  There were of course other necessities, milk, bread, cheese, sandwich stuff, etc.  Some ingredients I had on hand, so I tried to plan with what we had.

I also started back couponing again, and I tried to plan around sales ads.  This week two competitor grocers each have SUPER DOUBLES!  This means both stores will double coupons up to $1.98.  I am excited to begin stock piling some items again now that our pantry isn't so full.  I'm not one of those crazy couponers who buys 5006 bottles of ketchup.  I buy only what we will use before the items will expire.  Isn't this the purpose of couponing?  But my trip yesterday saved me more than $25.00.

What meals are you planning?  Share your ideas?  I need quick and easy--typically under 30 minutes to prepare since our evenings are so hectic.  Any suggestions I can add to next week?  Emphasis on quick and easy!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I have started meal planning also to save money. It also is slot easier to know what you are going home to make instead of searching through the pantry trying to decide at the last minute. This week we had Parmesan Chicken with Rigitoni noodles one night & one morning we put a pork roast in the crock pot for the day & had BBQ for supper with leftovers for lunch the next day. Both are easy & quick. Tonight was a favorite, breakfast! French toast & livermush! Yum! So glad to hear someone else is planning meals!

Elaine said...

Samatha! I love some of your ideas for meal plan. Crock pot is wonderful because it doesn't require any effort on my part! Did you have a recipe for the roast that you used?

I began blogging several years ago in search of new friends who, like me, were having a difficult time getting pregnant. Five years, 2 miscarriages, 4 failed IUI's, and a doctor who told us "It will never happen" later, we are the proud parents of Kade and Kohen. They are each an example of God's absolute perfection. We thank God where medical intervention stops, Divine intervention begins.