Friday, April 20, 2012

RFW: Anything, Everything, and Whatever

I finally have picked up my Resolutions for Women book again, and it was just in time for God to share with me EXACTLY what I needed.  Don't you just love that about God?  Isn't He awesome in that retrospect?!?

Continuing with the theme of shifting some things in the background for this particular season of your life so that you can focus on what really matters.  The overall goal of the chapter, I believe, is to be able to do what matters well "and with the ability to magnify and honor God." (page 98)

"You end most days with the sense that you're inadequate, that you don't have what it takes, that you just don't have it together like everybody else seems to."  (page 98)  Poof!  Gone!

You are often "paralyzed because (your) standards are at such an impossible height."  Gone!

"You can't do anything well because (you're) exhausted from doing everything."  Poof!  Disappeared!

I am guilty of taking on everything as if I were Super Woman.  I just need my cape!  Most of the time, a cape would cover my eyes from the mess of things I've created.  I look around and there are half-finished tasks everywhere.  I start one thing and my mind will drift to something else that I need to do.  I have to make a conscience effort to finish what I've started before moving on to something new. 

I am a little OCD.  (Dr. R says a lot, but will go with a little.  It just sounds better.) I so needed to read, "What you can do--yes you!--is good enough!" (page 100)  There are so many times that I don't think it is. 

Priscilla Shirer says beautifully,

"Take a second to consider that God has uniquely equipped you to do, as well as what He's asking of you (and what He's not asking of you) at this particular season of life.  Instead of focusing on what you can't do, why not carefully consider how to capitalize on what you can do in a way that will tap into God's presence and power?  Then no matter what day it is, no matter how old you are, no matter what the moment demands, you can be yourself, fully believing that your personal 'whatever you do' is fulfilling the purposes of God and will bring Him honor."  (page 101)

This chapter was about "in anything, everything, and whatever you do" bringing your best NOW.

When honoring God is your focus, it pares down your purpose and narrows your focus.  Carefully reconsider this sentence in light of your own personal circumstances, then record your thoughts:

How does a focus on honoring God...

a. Lighten the burden of the perfectionist

It takes a huge weight off my shoulders.  Society as a whole puts so many pressures on women.  We have to be a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, maid, cook, transportation service, gardener, employee, etc.  And the images we are bombarded with in the media shows women doing all of those perfectly while looking and feeling her absolute best.  I'll be honest:  There are days I "hang in there" with the best of women.  Then, there are days I fall flat on my face.  It's relieving and almost exhilarating that although society expects us to be perfectionist, the Lord does not.  He really is all that matters, now, isn't He?

b. inspire you to give your best effort

Anything that brings honor and glory to the Lord inspires me to bring forth my best effort.  I hadn't really thought about this season of my life and doing what I am doing and/or "called to do" as reflecting Him and His grace and mercy on my life.  It changes my entire attitude, really.  I try to give my best at most tasks, but just knowing its okay to do a few things well rather than everything half-heartedly makes a huge difference. 

In which tasks have you felt like your best efforts were not good enough?

Definitely my job situation.  I've had a very difficult time advancing in my current company.  I'm such a hard worker.  I'm dependable, rarely absent, on time, intelligent, etc, but I was constantly told I couldn't advance because of my lack of experience.  I couldn't make anyone understand that I was worth taking a risk on.  I've worked at the same company for 14 years.  It was very frustrating and took its toll on my self-esteem.

When faced with an activity like this--one that you find particularly challenging--how are you encouraged by knowing that God will empower your efforts designed to bring Him glory?

Continuing with the above question, I prayed for change and God brought that.  He moved me into a new department (which was actually a demotion), but I really like my new job.  I know I was placed in this department to shine for Jesus while I am here.  I've had several opportunities to witness for the Lord, and I'm so encouraged by my previous frustration has seemed to disappear for now.  I fully intend on finishing school to be a teacher, but this job...for this season of my life...is just what I needed.  I intend to bring my best to the table each day as I handle each client as a potential/prospective brother/sister in Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your Daisys. Thanks for the post. I am leaving behind perfectionism myself. Yesterday, I beat myself up for being so bubbly. Wishing I could be more calm and evened nature. As I ran into a woman who was very calm, I apoligized for being, so all over the place. She basically said, why aren't you calm? I then remembered He made me, me and I am never going to be calm. When will I ever trust him that he made my exuberance for a reason. :)

I began blogging several years ago in search of new friends who, like me, were having a difficult time getting pregnant. Five years, 2 miscarriages, 4 failed IUI's, and a doctor who told us "It will never happen" later, we are the proud parents of Kade and Kohen. They are each an example of God's absolute perfection. We thank God where medical intervention stops, Divine intervention begins.