Sunday, February 27, 2011

Life Lessons 101

No matter how old you are, you are never too old to learn important life lessons. I learned a very important life lesson this week, and I will document it here because I want my kids to know that I'm not above admitting when I am wrong about something. I want my boys to know that I'm human, and I will make mistakes too. I want them to know how much I love them, and I want this to be a teachable moment. So, what was it you ask? Appearances can be deceiving.

Unfortunately, this wasn't an "oh, it looks really warm outside. The sun is shining! I'll go outside. Holy moly! I need a jacket." sort of learning experience. There were harsh things said based on appearances; there were many relationships strained; feelings were hurt and bitterness fostered. It was a hard to swallow lesson. But more importantly, a totally avoidable lesson.

See, this was a 2-for-1 sort of lesson. I also learned that communication is key to maintaining healthy relationships. If communication is not present, it can cause the appearances of circumstances to trick you. You believe things you wouldn't otherwise believe. The appearances deceive you.

But the lesson I want to leave for my kids is that when you hurt someone, you ask for their forgiveness. Even if you feel justified in your actions and feelings. You shouldn't just say, "I'm sorry." I want you to also say, "Will you forgive me?"

Thank you Jill for this post. You made me realize then that there was a huge difference in saying "I'm sorry" and asking someone to forgive you.

I've accepted my share of the blame and gone to those people I have hurt and asked for their forgiveness. Now, I pray that they will extend to me the same love as God does when I have hurt or failed Him.

Kade and Kohen, you have an imperfect mom. But listen up, because I want you to carry this with you for your entire lives. "Appearances can be deceiving." When you do people wrong, you will say, "I'm sorry." But I want you to include, "will you forgive me?" Because, these two statements go hand in hand. And, forgiveness is liberating.

No comments:

I began blogging several years ago in search of new friends who, like me, were having a difficult time getting pregnant. Five years, 2 miscarriages, 4 failed IUI's, and a doctor who told us "It will never happen" later, we are the proud parents of Kade and Kohen. They are each an example of God's absolute perfection. We thank God where medical intervention stops, Divine intervention begins.