Friday, October 28, 2011

RFW: It's Good to be a Girl

Resolution for Women:  It’s Good to be a Girl

 

Choose one of the many roles you currently play in your life, and record for each how you are 1)good for it, 2)necessary to it, 3)an important component of it, 4) worthy to be a part of it, and 5)trustworthy to fulfill.

I will pick my role as an employee to explore, since this is often an object of my discontentment.  I am a good employee in the respect of being on time every day and rarely missing work.  I am necessary to my department because I’ve been delegated some of the work load.  I’m an important component of my company because I’ve been loyal for 13 years, and I am familiar with most of the jobs in my department.  I am worthy to be a part of the company because of the loyalty I’ve shown even in times of disappointment, most recently with a job promotion I felt I deserved.  I am (mostly) trustworthy to fulfill my role as employee because I’m a hard worker.  However, there are times that I am easily distracted from giving 100% of my attention to my work.

 

In what situations and around which people do you find the biblical value of womanhood most challenged and questioned?

I feel women self impose some of the challenges or questions concerning womanhood by allowing certain ideas to corrupt,challenge, or take out of contexts the God-given role for women.  We “are worth neither less nor more than (our) male counterparts.  We are different, obviously, but only in function, not in value.” (page 38)  I think sometimes we feel that women need/deserve special treatment because we are gentle, delicate creatures.  I also feel as if womanhood is often questioned and/or challenged by the absence of the male counterpart in our lives.  In essence, many women feel the need to compensate for their missing partner.

 

How do you raise daughters to be ambitious, educated, and sure of them selves while at the same time help them appreciate the rewards and blessings of submission?  How do you raise boys to view women with a similarly high regard?  Discuss with friends some creative approaches.

I’ll save the first part of this question for my girlfriends with daughters.  (Feel free to comment below.)  I hope that I teach my sons to value and treasure women.  I want them to be respectful that women are ordained by God to be “treasured, prized, and cherished by the Creator.” (page 39)  I feel all too often women are too hard on themselves.  (Can I get an Amen to that?!?)  We have enough stress beating our selves up for all that we fail to accomplish.  I hope I can teach my sons to help build up the women in their lives, whether it be an aunt, cousin, grandmother, or wife (WAY DOWN THE ROAD!).  Their daddy is already teaching them the way a woman should be treated by the small things he does for me.  He still opens the doors for me.  He still shows me affection.  He believes in me, and that’s what I want my sons to do for other women in their lives: believe in them.

 

So, how about it ya’ll?!?  Since we women are so hard on ourselves, how do we raise our daughters to be ambitious, educated, and sure of themselves while at the same time help them appreciate the rewards and blessings of submission?

 

I also welcome any advice you have for raising sons with a similarly high regard.

 

Blessing!

 

 

No comments:

I began blogging several years ago in search of new friends who, like me, were having a difficult time getting pregnant. Five years, 2 miscarriages, 4 failed IUI's, and a doctor who told us "It will never happen" later, we are the proud parents of Kade and Kohen. They are each an example of God's absolute perfection. We thank God where medical intervention stops, Divine intervention begins.