Thursday, February 9, 2012

RFW: I'd Like a Word With You (with Resolution)

Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since I worked on my Resolutions for Women.  I completed the first three resolutions last year when the movie Courageous came out.  I'm picking up here with my fourth resolution.


The fourth resolution is spending time in God's word.  You can read more about becoming Faithfully His by clicking Divine Appointments and Faith vs. Faithfulness.  "I'd Like a Word With You" is all about bible reading and  how oftentimes we treat it as a chore rather than a delight.  Priscilla Shirer tells us, "It's easy for us to begin feeling this way about His Word unless we realize that being faithfully His is rooted in the kind of relationship we have with it.  He has given us His word to learn from and enjoy.  To refresh us.  To call out the desire for relationship with Him that He's planted deep within our souls.  To speak to our hearts.  To show us who He is."  (page 79)

My favorite part of the chapter was the list of bible verses listed to keep yourself "grounded in who you are, whose you are, and what this glorious, eternal, triumphant fact means to  you." (page 81)  Each verse wasn't quoted directly, but was referenced so you can declare it in first person.  Here a few of my favorites:

  • I will not use my tongue to speak cursings, but rather I will speak life-giving blessings to everyone I meet and in every situation I face (James 3:8-10)
  • I do not look with disdain upon my weaknesses.  I see them as opportunities for God to display His powerful strength and grace through me.  (2 Corinthians 12:10)
  • I have the mind of Christ; therefore I act in a way that is consistent with His actions.  (1 Corinthians 2:16)
  • I will not give the enemy an opportunity or foothold in my life (Ephesians 4:27)
  • I rejoice in the Lord whether my circumstances are good or bad (Philippians 4:4)
  • I only allow my mind to entertain what is honorable, right, pure, lovely, noble, excellent, and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8)
  • I am a necessary and useful part of the body of Christ.  I will use my spiritual gifts to edify others (1 Corinthians 12:7)
  • I am a brand-new person.  My old sin nature has passed away and everything has become new (2 Corinthians 5:17)
....and actually this is just a partial list of my favorites.

"Today God invites you to live a life marked by faithfulness.  By His Spirit and with the guidance and encouragement of His Word, this is an attainable goal for you.  No matter what your past has held, this resolution can mark a new beginning.  Read the resolution prayerfully and sign your name when you are ready." (page 85)

By signing my name



I will live as a woman answerable to God and faithfully committed to His Word.
This is a resolution I make of myself to my family and my Lord.

February 9, 2012
Elaine M. Killian

No comments:

I began blogging several years ago in search of new friends who, like me, were having a difficult time getting pregnant. Five years, 2 miscarriages, 4 failed IUI's, and a doctor who told us "It will never happen" later, we are the proud parents of Kade and Kohen. They are each an example of God's absolute perfection. We thank God where medical intervention stops, Divine intervention begins.